On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 677
Top End Assembly - Phase 1

At long last I'm back on the old twin, all the other projects are doing well:

TTR is finished and rideable again;

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=654212&page=2

Luke's MK1 bike is coming right along;

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...823952&page=21

And the new (1986) race support vehicle, aka "Minnie Winnie" is progressing steadily, although I'm pretty sure we're going to have the pull the furnace to repair, but that is another story. Anyhow, with all these projects slowly coming together and the majority of my honey-do's somewhat under control, I had a whole day to devote just to the old SL350.

This morning;

Decided to use the tensioner arm on the left for the Polyamide sprocket and wheel upgrade, as the right hand one was in pretty good shape and can be used again on a non performance application;

Drilling out original rivet that holds tensioner wheel in place;

The center bushing from the original wheel must be used in the new wheel, note that the oil passages need to be aligned for proper lubrication of the needle bearing;

Magic marker used to mark where oil passages line up;

Swedged the rivet with tapered punch and then finished off with a brass drift;

Cylinder cleaned and ready for honing;

Cross hatch;

Ring kit came from Greece and are universal 68mm, which require a lot of filing to work in 67mm bores. Because the quality of the rings is completely unknown, I opted for a pretty generous ring end gap. Starting from the top ring at .016, then the second ring at .12 and the oil ring at .010. The rings have no markings of any kind and the compression rings were completely symetrical, so without any position indicators, I just have to hope that they are going to work. Note: these were the ONLY rings I could find that were even close to fitting the antique PowRoll big bore kit.

All parts laid out: cleaned, honed, filed, etc. and ready for assembly (the long slender black lines to the left of the rings are the inner springs for the oil control rings, those had to be shortened as well);

Heat gun was used to warm pistons for installation of wrist pins;

First piston on, I quickly realized it would be a good idea to install the inner wrist pin clips before putting the pistons on the rods;

Pistons and rings on and rebuilt tensioner in place, ready for cylinder;

Note to self; no more multi-cylinder ring installations without proper ring compressors. Doing this alone and without the right tools was no fun and was lucky no rings were broken. Whew!

Had figured on getting further then this today, but couldn't quit untiI the trick LameCo head was set in place, just to see how it looked. Yeah Baby!!!

One more shop session should have the motor buttoned up and then it will be on to the chassis. My old crew chief Randy has volunteered (insisted actually) to paint the frame, fuel tank and side covers, and if his past work is any indicator, it should look pretty sharp. Here is the my old 750 Norton that Randy helped build in 1975, he did all the paint and trim work on it;

Stay tuned!

LC Garage screwed with this post 02-09-2013 at 12:09 PM
LC Garage is offline   Reply With Quote