View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 03:03 AM   #62
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Oddometer: 296
punta del diablo, uruguay to praia do cassino, brazil

it was hard to leave punta del diablo. i could have easily stayed there for another week or month. there was a big thunderstorm the night before i left that kept me awake in my luxury shack.

playa do los pescadores, punta del diablo, uruguay by porkandcorn, on Flickr

chillin' in the hood, punta del diablo, uruguay by porkandcorn, on Flickr

after the storm, i went for a walk on the beach at about 3am. i found a strange bio-luminescent bug on the beach and he told me it was time to go. always moving onto the next place, eager to explore and see what i can get myself into...

strange luminescent bug i found on the beach, punta del diablo, uruguay by porkandcorn, on Flickr

i was talking to some argentines, who feel that americans spend too much time traveling from place to place, and not enough time hunkered down in one spot, enjoying it. i understand the sentiment, but this trip is to see a continent as best i can in 4 months. to do that, you must keep moving, even when you'd prefer to stay put. so it was with a heavy heart that i tossed the gear back on the bike and left punta at a bright and early 2pm.

before i left town, i stopped by to say goodbye to my new friends at the arrai beach bar. they were good to me while i was there, and made me feel at home. they always had good music, and my caipirinhas were always tasty and strong. they decided that i should have a ceremonial piece of corn to pay homage to my 'porkandcorn' riding name, as well as hold the official beach bar sign. what?! - no pork!!!??? if i were on facebook, i would friend you guys, but i'm one of the only 4 or 5 americans who are not on facebook. so i linked to your twitter page above. stay in touch and nacho, i want you to email me your music playlist... or else!!

arrai beach bar advertisement, punta del diablo, uruguay by porkandcorn, on Flickr

so then it was back on the road and a 30 minute drive to the brazilian border. switching into portugues proved trickier than i thought, because at the border i seemed to always default to spanish. with time. i just have to pause a moment before i speak to switch the brain over - that is not something i am used to doing when speaking portuguese. funny to think that i learned portugues 10 years ago, and that 10 years ago exactly at this time, i was living in florianopolis, brazil for the year. time flies when you are having fun. i'm excited for my return and to see my old friends from that time.

brazil border, chuy, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

another immigration, chuy, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

farmland, curral alto, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

farmland, curral alto, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

once in brazil, i rode up BR471, a rural two-lane road through lush green and yellow-green fields dotted with cows. in one stretch, there was a nature preserve for capybara, pig sized rodents that are native to south america. as, advertised they were hanging out on the road size and in the river that ran along the road. for an enormous rodent, they are pretty cute.

capybura as advertised, taim, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

capybury, taim, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

the immigration officials back at the border told me to be careful driving in this park, because the capybara are always on the road and getting hit by cars and trucks. thankfully, one of them got plowed over and its skin was left behind so that i could capture it's decomposing cuteness in all it's glory. they seem pretty stupid. when i pull up along side them on the road, they would freeze and pretend they weren't there. but i knew they were because i am not a stupid, pig-sized rodent. i chased a couple down to get a close up, but they made a goofy noise and ran away from me. might have been the klim riding suit and the bright yellow helmet...

decomposing capybura, farmland, taim, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

after about a 5 hour road day, i didn't feel like staying in an inland city yet, so i wandered out to the beach again - to praia do cassino, brazil. it's a family holiday spot were thousands of poeple roam the main drag at night, walking back and forth, eating street food, sitting in lawn chairs, while packs of samba drum troops roam the streets. it was interesting to walk back and forth a couple times.

nighttime streets, praia do cassino, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

the diversity of people in brazil is greater - there are whites, blacks, browns, and one red (me with sunburn from punta d. diablo). it's easier to blend in here, and that makes life just a hair easier for me. i don't care how confident you are - if people stare at you 24/7, it begins to wear on your after a while.

the internet on the expansive front patio of the hotel was calling me, as i had some research to do regarding my riding through the coastal mountains for the next couple of days. excited about the roads, and the little towns i'll find along the way. brazilians are very warm people. it's good to be back here, and i'm excited for the next couple of weeks that i'll be here.
porkandcorn is offline   Reply With Quote