View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 05:31 AM   #134
randel OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Day 18.
We woke up early, only after some 3 hours of sleep. It was just too cold and we decided to start riding instead of shaking in our sleeping bags.

It was a foggy morning when we started.

We had to stop every 100 or so km to retension my KTM chain but some 300km before estonian border I couldn't ride any more. Sprocket just turned around but bike didn't move! Something has to be done to get home! What to do? It was Sunday, so all shops were closed. Finally we decided to try to tow my bike behind Raul KTM. We didn't know is it legal in Russia? Probably not, but let's try anyway!

It turned out as a quite feasible solution. As we got used to it, our speed started to grow and finally we were even overtaking some trucks! Not the smartest move of course...
Luckily nothing happened, our tow rope was quite invisible as we passed some Police cars without unwanted attention from their side and finally we reach Estonian border!

Already routine paperwork on russian border and at around 8 pm we were back in Estonia!
8000km and 18 days later, a lot of new experiences and new places, we were happy to be back!

Last day we covered 924km.

I had called a friend to collect my bike at border, so my last 300km to Tallinn I covered conveniently in a car, bike strapped to trailer. I reached home around midnight. It was good to sleep in my own bed. Tomorrow - back to work and usual routine...

It has been a memorable trip and a longest trip report, I hope you all enjoyed it! I still have around 4 hours of video from this trip, but I don't know when I'm able to cut a movie, I better don't promise anything!

Now back to preparations for 2013 season, regular maintenance, rerouting wires, building ITG air filter plate and rear tanks for my trusty 50000km old 950SE. There are some plans for 2013!
randel is offline   Reply With Quote