View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #28
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
AD1 is waterproof and windproof, and easy to get on and off. They have almost no insulating value though, so don't count on them to keep you warm. Similarly, above about 80 degrees, they're too hot. I haven't, and wouldn't wear them without pants underneath. They're good commuter pants for the fall and spring, that's about it.
I will respectfully disagree with this one. I thought they would be too hot as well, but that hasn't been the case. In the summer, I loosen the cuff and air gets up pretty well. They are no hotter than anything else that offers any protection. My previous pants were Olympia mesh and I really don't notice much difference, even on 95+ days here in VA. In the winter, I wear long underwear or heated liners and I adjust the cuff so it is tight around my boot. In that configuration, I have ridden down to 8 this year.

I'm not a fan of the Darien jacket for a variety of reasons and I'm not a shill for the sake of trying to get others to believe me, but I swear my Darien pants in gray have been the best piece of gear I've owned. I am a 12 month commuter and the Dariens just work where everything else has compromises. If I did touring, I'd look for something more tailored ) not an overpant) but for how I use them, these are perfect.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote