View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #19
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Based on what I have seen with those RC batteries, I'd beg to differ. I'm going to buy one to try out. This will be a test not for an RC battery to perm replace a bike battery, but as a ooops, battery is dead and I need a jump in the middle of BFE. Out comes the RC pack with alligator clips and vroom.

They are cheap enough and I already have a balancing charger.

So here's the vehicles I'm going to attempt to start with it. I'll take videos

Husqvarna TXC 511 Fuel injected (not even going to parallel the current battery, just see if the RC battery will start it cold as the "sole" battery)

CBR600, same deal. This bike has a Shorai

FZ1, bike has a Yaesu AGM. I'll see if the RC battery will start this bike without the original battery hooked up, and then I'll drain the bike battery down to where the solenoid is clicking and then parallel the RC battery and see what happens.

Ninja 650, bike has no battery
don't use RC li-po batteries on 12v motorcycle systems. voltages are not compatible. a 4s or 3.7v x 4 = 14.8v nominal, operating voltages are 3.5v x 4 = 14v (empty) .. fully charged 4.2v x 4 = 16.8v (full)

RC li-po packs are lithium cobalt which are inherently dangerous. nominal voltage is 3.7v... 3.5v -4.2v fully charged... go 1/2v over 4.2 .. there's a good possibility battery will go into thermal runaway (explosion) search RC forums for li-po fires ...

Boeing 787 uses lithium cobalt cells that need all sorts of safeties to prevent battery from going into thermal runaway.

unlike LiFePO4 batteries which are inherently safe... 3.3v nominal voltage... 12.8v to 13.3v delivers 90% of useable current. fully charged at 14.6v

12v system typically charge at 13.8v to 14.2v... so a 12v charging system in good condition cannot overcharge a LiFePO4 battery.

_cy_ screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 08:29 PM
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote