View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 03:52 AM   #1
DuctTape OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
My 990 suspension Adventure

I know that many owners of the KTM 990 send out their suspension to places like The Best KTM Motorcycle Suspension Possible: Super Plush Suspension Slavens Racing and others and they do a very good job of improving the stock suspension.

The only problem that I see with doing this is your suspension will be a compromise. A well setup suspension for the desert will be terrible on a slow one track and the same goes for rocky terrain. I want the ability to tune my suspension for the terrain I'm going to be riding in and since work precludes any traveling this year the journey begins.

These are the parts and special tools I'm using for the Job and I'm sure the first question most people will have is the cost.

So here's a price list.
Race Tech Suspension Bible: $23 Amazon
Race tech Gold Valve Fork Kit G2-R Gold FMGV 2820G: $128.41 Amazon
Super Plush Fork Springs spsf43-465--65: $144,95 KTM Twins
G2 remote fork bleeder system: otf-ktm $69.95 KTM Twins
Simrestacker software: $63 http://www.shimrestackor.com/index.htm
Digital Micrometer
Digital Caliper
Ktm Hard equipment Fork cap removal tool: $24.99 KTM Twins
Race tech Fork seal tool 48MM $63.28 Amazon
Race Tech Fork Oil Level Tool $111.29 Amazon

SKF Fork Seals:
$67.50 Slaven racing

Fork Bushings: $48 Slaven racing
Fork oil as needed. Red Line 5w $9.95 a pint

The forks haven't changed since 2003 so the manual you'll need for disassembly and assembly will be a 4860 MX multi Adjuster 2003. This is the manual that came on the CD for my 2011.

The manual says to count the number of turns to the right of both the Rebound on the top of the fork and the compression adjuster at the bottom. What it doesn't tell you is you'll need to turn all four of the adjusters back to the left all the way to take the tension off of them.

When it comes to disassembly of the compression holder at the bottom of the fork an impact wrench is the way to go. The other thing I found was that when it comes to disassembly my Rockwell vice worked great since it has rubber jaws! I did have to borrow the Queens little rubber cap remover from the kitchen to keep the cartridge tube from turning while unscrewing the sleeve. (Hope she doesn't miss it too much, LOL)

Anyway if all you want to do is change out the seals and bushing you don't even have to mess with the cartridge.

I'm ready to remove and measure all the stock shims so I can get a baseline from the restacker software and input all the data for the new valve and springs and see what it suggest.
For those of you into dyno tuning www.valvinglogic.com provides an easy way to obtain accurate dyno data for the customized shim stack configuration the restacker software comes up with. Email your stack configuration to www.valvinglogic.com , they will install the stack in their suspension hardware and for about $60/stroke dyno test the stack and email the results back to you. No hardware shipping, no down time, no missed rides. Valving logic provides an easy method to obtain accurate dyno data for your suspension setup and something I may just do to prove to my pee brain just how well the restacker software really works.

Well guys and girls that's where I am as of today and like I said in the beginning I'll be playing with this all year so if anyone is interested I'll update this thread as I go.
2010 Ducati 1198S

DuctTape screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 04:24 AM
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote