Thread: TAG frame mods
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 06:34 AM   #33
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
With the 1100 swingarm it will put the final drive more to the right than with the R100 swingarm, therefore should require less offset.
You have that backward. The 1100 swingarm normally sits to the right of center, so putting it in the center of the Airhead frame offsets to the left. I have had an 1100 swing arm/FD/wheel on a rolling chassis for a while and it's unusably (to me) offset.

Quote:
I have not had the chance to compare an 1100 final drive alongside an R100 final drive to see if there is any offset difference between the two.
Pretty sure there is no difference. The geometry of the gearsets (pinion axis to bolting face) mostly eliminates the possibility of changing that. I'm pretty sure the housings are all pretty much the same in this dimension. In fact I have a chart of these components on my site now at the bottom of the gearing page (I was bored one afternoon): http://largiader.com/articles/gearing/

I recently bought a K11 FD just to get the housing because I wanted a shock-stud type Paralever housing with the larger cover bolts so I can run a later (11GS-type) disc cover. I'll probably run a 3.0 gearset in it and then try it on my R100R with some yet to be determined wheel.