I just posted this in another thread, and since it might be a good time to summarize the last 13,000 odd posts here, let me know if I missed anything.
1. Watch out for animals. A goat trying to make out with your front wheel at 60 mph can really spoil your day.
2. Watch out for unmarked "topes" - speed bumps. Also be ready for a road in perfect condition for miles to change to gravel in the middle of a blind corner. You'll need a ladder to climb out of some potholes.
3. Keep a spare "throw-down" wallet with a few hundred Pesos and hand it over without hesitation. Do not run from bad guys. None of us down here have ever been robbed, but from anecdotal reports, running never works out better than stopping. For crooked cops, feign ignorance.
4. Try not to ride after dark. #1 & #2 become an even bigger danger. If you have to ride after sunset, try to stay on the toll roads.
5. Learn some basic Spanish. A few words go a long way.
Young enough to know I can. Old enough to know I shouldn't. Stupid enough to do it anyway
'13 Duc Multi GT, '10 Vstrom 1k, '10 705cc KLR