View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
warp9man OP
Gravel in my Travel

Oddometer: 589
Day 2 – January 13, 2013

We woke up to a great sunny day and got busy making last minute preparations to the bikes. My KTM 990 Dakar was all ready to go. Dad was riding his BMW 650GS Dakar. My dad and I both used to desert race all the time since I was about 7 years old and up until I was 32. Jacque was riding her BMW 650GS. She just started riding motorcycles two years ago so this was going to be a big trip for her. Dave was riding his Suzuki DR650. John and Dave were high school buddies and both very experienced riders. This was Dave’s first ride on his DR650 because he actually had us purchase and prep the bike for him ahead of time and transport it to Yuma so he could just fly out. I decided to also bring my Suzuki DR650 just in case Dave didn’t like his or if he wanted to use some of my components for the trip. He opted to borrow my tank bag and an axle wrench but was pretty happy with his bike.

A little last minute prep.

Shake down pre ride.

We went out for a little shake down ride (and to scrub in the new tires) which turned into an all day ride into California. We arrived a bit late for dinner. I was pretty enthralled with chatting, riding and prepping with Dad and Dave. After all, none of them had been to Baja so I wanted to make sure they were well prepared.

We got a disturbing call from home and had to handle some drama well into the evening. While Patty was double checking our Mexico cell phone plans with AT&T she discovered they had activated my international features onto our daughter’s phone line instead of mine. She had to get on the phone again to get the problem corrected. We finally went to bed rather annoyed and frustrated at about midnight.
warp9man is offline   Reply With Quote