View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 07:05 AM   #18332
Dread Pendragon
Slartibartfast

Oddometer: 2,217
Caselli

An interview with Caselli:

Caselli looking back:

"Kurt took to the start of the toughest off-road motorcycle race there is – and claimed two highly impressive stage wins. Here Kurt reflects on a Dakar Rally he’ll never forget...

Jonty Edmunds: The Dakar is a very special event, but how did your first Dakar compare to other motorcycling exploits you’ve experienced?

Kurt Caselli: Dakar is on a completely different level from anything else I've ever raced. From the paddock to the course, and the spectators, it truly is unlike anything else. The logistics and organisation that are behind everything are very impressive and with that comes the sense of being in something as big as the Olympics. I was very impressed with the way things were run and how much medical assistance was readily available for everyone involved.

Q: You were selected as the rider to stand in for the injured Marc Coma. When and how did you find out you were headed for South America?

A: I was asked if I wanted to go just two weeks before the start of the race. My boss Antti Kallonen at KTM called and asked if I wanted to go, and of course I said yes without any hesitation. Just seconds later I hung up the phone and asked myself ‘what have I just agreed to?'"

. . .

"My best Dakar story would just be this... picture yourself squatting on the side of the road taking your morning dump, while watching the most amazing sunrise... eating a protein bar in preparation for the day ahead. That’s pure Dakar..."

more here