View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #74
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Oddometer: 296
monte negro, brazil to florianopolis, brazil

wednesday, february 6, 2013

woke up with almost no signs of the fever that i was suffering from the day before. had a beautiful home cooked breakfast, and set off to complete the 60 miles of dirt road to the next town, bom jardim da serra, brazil.

pousada fazendo monte negro, monte negro, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

chamber of redemption, pousada fazendo monte negro, monte negro, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

greeter, pousada fazendo monte negro, monte negro, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

bridge over river that divides rio grande state and santa catarena state, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

first vista in santa catarina state, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

first vista in santa catarina state, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

from there, it was about a 20 miles ride to the east until i would encounter "brazil's most beautiful road", the serra do rio do rastro.

well, you don't always get what you want in life. after this 3 day detour to see and ride this road, the entire thing was completely closed in with fog. the descent was terrifying. worse fog than the night before up on the mountain. i literally could not see 5 feet in front of me. and there were enormous trucks going up and down. because my visor was fogging up, and i couldn't hear traffic, i took off my helmet and coasted down most of the road with my bike in neutral and the engine off. eventually, the fog lifted a bit and i suited up and fired up the bike again. i'm sure it's an amazing road if it doesn't happen to suck that day. i laughed it off with another motorcyclist i met near the bottom. he'd come from about 12 hours north in brazil to ride the road. here's a couple of shots from google.

serra do rio do rastro, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

serra do rio do rastro, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

came into florianopolis, brazil around 2pm today. the roads and highways are still familiar. i found my way to jureré beach on the north end of the island, my home for the next 6 days, without any maps. just like i remember it. kind of an odd feeling. i'm staying a night at one of the pousadas that my friend recommended, but i spent the afternoon looking around for something else - the owner is a bit of a bitch, and she lied to me about having accessible parking for the bike for the week. it's carnival here friday through tuesday, and everything is $$$$. found a much nicer place, for less, with very friendly owners about 8 blocks away. the next report will be from there.

porkandcorn screwed with this post 02-07-2013 at 08:19 PM
porkandcorn is offline   Reply With Quote