Thread: The Way South
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #93
rockymountainoyster OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
La Serena, Chile

I have a lot of 'splaining to do. I have been in and out of La Serena about five times now and finally found the beach! It is great, especially if you like urban beaches (Honolulu, Venice/Santa Monica, Ocean Beach, CA, Ocean City, MD in the summer, all of your personal favorites in so many places)

I have been at a lot of beaches, desert, mountains, hot springs, geysers, and endless kilometers of highway in the last couple of weeks. I have a so so internet connection now and want to try to update a bit. I have to reach back to the final day of the Dakar Rally to really catch you up. Especially those of you who like motorcycles. I was at the checkpoint about half way through the last day of the Dakar. Spent a lot of hours there waiting for first riders to come in. I totally sauteed myself in the Chilean son. Only got to see a couple of the cars roll in and none of the big trucks. It was cool anyway but a long day in the hot sun. Can only imagine what the riders go through. There were some pretty tired dudes rolling through on that last day. Two grueling weeks in the desert. The posture of many of the riders showed the deep fatigue. I would not be there for the final closing and it was not necessary. I learned so much from the riders who came by, barely able to lift a gloved hand off of the left handlebar to acknowledge the adulation of the enthusiastic throng. These riders had left enthusiasm somewhere out on the vast Atacama that I have just traversed and were just tired to the bone.

rockymountainoyster screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 06:22 PM Reason: Duplicate image.
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote