View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #509
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,149
Thanks for riding along inmates!

Sam These are some of your roads coming up in the next few days.

Tony - For riding directly from Las Vegas to St. George there is no way to avoid all of I-15. I actually enjoy the ride up through the Virgin River Gorge and have done it on all my bikes, including the mighty TW200 when returning from rides in the Mesquite area and racing against darkness. If you want to avoid I-15 through the Gorge, you can exit at Beaver Dam, AZ and take Old Highway 91 around the backside of the Utah Hill and enter St. George via Santa Clara. This is an excellent motorbike road. Overall much better than the roads around Zion, although not as scenic.

You also avoid part of I-15 by using the frontage road (south side of I-15) from Riverside (south of Mesquite) up to Littlefield, AZ. Good motorbike road. No traffic. Curves. At least this can provide a respite from the trucks of I-15.

Another much longer way to avoid most of the I-15 superslab is to get on Nevada 93 just north of Las Vegas. North to Alamo, then to Caliente, over to Beryl Junction, UT. Then south on UT 18 to Enterprise and St. George. Or from Beryl Junction to east Cedar City, then up 14 (Cedar Canyon) to some very cool high country. These are all excellent motorbike roads is you have time and are interested in taking the route less travelled. See you up here on the V.

Duhfactor - you won't need "extra" gas for Warner Valley unless you are really ripping. And yes, in Warner Valley you can go almost anywhere. If venturing out onto the AZ Strip you will definitely need gas. Loooong distances and no back-up. Give me a "heads up" when your plans are firm. You can't go wrong riding around St. George.

MtnClimber - Hey a local No rides planned at the moment. But, the days are getting longer and the weather should warm up as we go from Feb to March. Way to pick up the Kawi dual sport. Great bike. Let me know when you want to go. We'll try and make something happen.

Rick - "Shortcuts" - always lookin' for the road less traveled. Springtime is coming. Hope all is well in Dove Creek.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote