View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #5212
azgsa
Apathetic

Oddometer: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaman View Post
Hey guys,

I'm trying to power my iPhone 5 on my bike... Looking for opinions on my best options. Here's what I see so far:

1. BMW accessory outlet. I can go powerlet to USB, mount the USB up by the bars, then just use a regular USB charging cable for the phone. This sounds good since it'll be keyed (I assume). My concern is leaving the factory accessory plug open, and the little cover (or door) getting ganked by my leg, or just corroded with weather exposure.

2. I could come off my Battery Tender SAE connection to USB, and just unplug and replug after each ride when I connect the tender.

3. I can fight with the tight battery box again and go straight from the battery to USB.

With all the concern about weak battery and little available power, should I be concerned about the cell phone having switched power? There's nothing else "extra" on the bike now, but will likely do heated grips next winter (we've about made it through the cold here in my part of Texas

Any suggestions?
I electrified my Wolfman tank bag and inside is a female cigarette receptacle I can plug accessories into, including USB adaptor I plug the iPhone 5 cable into and charge my bluetooth headset with - tank bag is switched power via Fuzeblock under seat area. Fuzeblock distributes both switched and direct battery power to my LED floods, tank bag, heated grips, GPS power, OEM underseat powerlet (wired for direct power for battery tender and air pump use after airing down for offroad), and heated gear outlet.