View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #22
Tin Woodman OP
Mike

Oddometer: 186
Disston, you could be right. While welding may be a bit aggressive, I wonder if the parts can be brazed. Of course, I'd have to get the alignment right - I wonder if there are index marks on the quill and the camshaft. Then again, a new camshaft may be the answer. Bmwrench, I just saw your post - hadn't considered Loctite. What a novel idea! Of course, I'd have to figure out how to pull the quill out first.

By the way everyone, I am amazed by the support I'm getting - you guys don't even know me and you're already offering me parts. I obviously came to the right place.

Question, if I install a used camshaft, what are the potential consequences and issues to be concerned about? For example, will I need to install new cam followers? Should I check the runout on the tip?

Finally, a question for Chasbmw from England - is that a photo of the Khyber Pass?

Something tells me I'll be solving this problem sooner than later - I pulled the transmission this afternoon when I got home from work in anticipation of pulling the crankshaft. What was supposed to be a 'nearing completion' project has suddenly reversed direction.

Tin Woodman screwed with this post 02-07-2013 at 06:23 PM
Tin Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote