View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #1637
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
This is really enlightening! I knew they would be strong, but I didn't realize how strong. I bet you could easily rest 500 pounds on one of those bags turned upside down with ot without a lid.

Someone is going to be very lucky to get your blems!

Jim

PS I would give you some work clothes, but I doubt 2X would fit in a safe way around all your machinery!
That is pretty amazing, isn't it? Imagine what my bumper will do to Bambi.

My KLR fell over in the concrete parking lot at work last year due to a slow leak in the rear tire. Just the outer, lower pannier corner got scuffed, and that was my very first set ever made. I would like to think I have gotten better on building the panniers, so they are probably even stronger now.

I also got a scuff on the lower forkleg. Nothing else touched down at all, and the fuel tank was 8" away from touching. Built-in crashbars! The bar ends and mirrors were 100% damage free. I was amazed by that.

I am convinced that OEM hardbags on an ST1100 saved my leg in a bambi strike a couple years back. It created a pocket while I slid on the pavement with the bike on top of me. From that point forward, all of my bikes have had / will have hard bags of some sort, be it OEM or aluminum panniers.

EDIT - there was a small scuff on the bar end weight...

kirkster70 screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 03:24 PM
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote