View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 05:33 AM   #1041
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Have you thought about anybody sending you care packages as you were traveling? I am planning a trip similar to yours and figured I could convince my Mom to do something like that, with all the parts purchased before leaving on the trip.
I thought about it, but it's too hard to plan ahead like that for me. I don't really have a schedule or a planned route, I just make it up as I go. An international package can take a few days to get somewhere, or it can take a few months. You just never know what's going to happen, especially with the customs process in some of these contries. Plus it's darn expensive to get stuff shipped down here. I had to get a new chain guard in Lima; they looked at importing it for me and it would have cost $40 just to ship it. And it's only like a $30 part.

I think your best bet for getting hard to find parts down here in a timely manner is to see if you can find someone that is flying down, send the part to them in the states, and have them bring it with them. Byron and Isabel, the two brits I met in Texas in September, were able to find a bunch of people through this forum who worked together to bring them a new wheel and a bunch of suspension parts for their 1979 BMW R100RS. Amazing stuff.
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote