View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #331
skeelo221
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by avgas View Post
I picked a garmin 78 up, and now I'm trying to decide on how to mount it. Does anyone have opinions on using the ram mount offroad with the 78? I like the price, but it looks a little flimsy for rough offroad.

The touratech locking mount would be nice, especially if it dampens vibrations much. I'm not sure I can get over paying that much to mount a $200 gps though.
I have the ram mount / ram cradle for my 78. I really love the mount a lot - it's very stable and the adjustability is great. The cheap plastic ram cradle I am not very happy with. It is not very sturdy and for rough offroad I don't think you can get more than 1-2 seasons out of them. I recently got back from a 2 week trip to Baja and the kit held up fine, but was buzzing and rattling the whole way (granted the GPS never popped out of the cradle). After I got back I noticed the cradle really scratched up the unit quite a bit (I don't care about that but maybe someone else does).

I've used a friends Touratech mount on his older 76 series and it was rock solid. They are way way overpriced but it really is a superior mount, IMO. If I were to do it again I'd look for a nice used Touratech no question.
skeelo221 is offline   Reply With Quote