View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #16
warp9man OP
Gravel in my Travel

Oddometer: 563
Day 6 – January 17, 2013
We don’t have any plans for today so we enjoy sleeping in for a bit. We had been thinking about whale watching today so we drug ourselves out of bed. We find John, Jac and Dave at breakfast. They have already made plans to have a shuttle van take them out to go whale watching. We decide to join them.

I would have to say I would much rather ride the KTM down the dirt road. Taking the van increases the drive time dramatically. On an upside, we could wear casual clothes (not riding gear), Patty decided to lay down on the seat,( she gets car sick), I got entertainment watching cleavage bounce around on the bumpy road. We both arrived happy.

Driving across the laguna during our van ride.

The campo Banös

Some of the little rentals at the campo. I asked what the price was to stay in them, $60usd! um...ok

A whale skeleton they have on display.
Last year we had rode the bike out to the campo’s but it was cold and windy. Jumping into a little panga in riding gear didn’t sound like fun so we just went for a bike ride.
We signed a few waivers, they gave us a quick tour of the place and gave us a few menu choices for lunch so they could have our food ready when we got back in.

The Grey Whales were not hard to find. The females had just given birth within the last 2 weeks!

Female, mother grey whale

It is amazing that they will just come right up to the boat! The babies are very curious and mom’s are very friendly. The females are enormous!

Mom and baby.

We even seen some of them spy hopping!

I have some cool videos I will try to post. We had a great time.
Back at the campo they served us lunch.

Patty found a new buddy.

We headed back to the B&B.
While walking to our yurt we seen a BMW1200GS parked next door with a full set of knobby tires on. I don’t see that very often. We head over to chat with them and discover it is a fellow ADV’er, Mike and his wife from CA. I don’t remember his handle? He had a wealth of information and has been coming to Baja to ride for years. We have a good time chatting with them. We make arrangements to meet up with them again at dinner. Me, Patty and Dave run over to Tootsie’s again for a light dinner.

Mike and his wife show up a bit later and we have a good time.

We roam around town for a bit and head back for the night. I stop in to chat with Dad to go over the plans for tomorrow down to Loreto. They say they plan on getting up early, to breakfast by 7am, then they will head out ahead of us. I go over Dad’s GPS, give them one of my maps so they can find our hotel (Posada del Cortes) in case they arrive before we do. It’s a nice easy ride tomorrow, 167mi, so no hurry for us.

warp9man screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 12:26 PM
warp9man is offline   Reply With Quote