View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #4011
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renman1117 View Post
I haven't measured my sag yet, it doesn't feel like there's much suspension compression when I sit on it but that can be deceptive.

Taking a break from the work to peruse this thread. can someone tell me how much sag there should be and how then to adjust the rebound accordingly. Last year about this time, when my bike was in for warranty work my mechanic told me how he could set up the rear suspension for the weight you where carrying, but I really recall how much sag, and rebound needed. Should have listened and taken notes. Thanks.

Cliff
Sag is set by preload. Comp/rebound damping is another animal all together.

"How much sag" is likely going to be a hot topic, but I've always gone with a number between 10-20% of the total amount of travel. The Stelvio rear shock has about 6" of travel, so that would be about 1/2" to 1" of sag, which should be measured with you and all the crap on it that you typically carry. Empty the boxes, measure, then put your usual amount of junk in them, sit on the seat w/ feet on the pegs, and measure again. Note that you'll need a helper to keep the bike upright as you sit on it to get an accurate measurement. Based on the numbers above, > 1" means you need to crank up the preload.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote