View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #1610
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,621
Never got around to leaving San Gil today. It was kind of cloudy and I really liked the idea of heading over to Cocuy. And would rather head up high elevation switchbacks to the heavens in clear weather. Anyway, San Gil is an easy town to hang out in. Here is a shot from my hotel window:

Took trespalacios advice and headed down to the Parque El Gallineral. Here is a nice stone bust of Simon Bolivar on the promenade along the river on the way over:

I think the sculptor was having some fun with the pencil neck and the pupils in his eyes looking up and to his right like he was bored as hell posing for his statue.

Parque El Gallineral was a very peaceful and serene place to wander around for a couple hours. Kind of like a toned down Las Pozas. Lots of Spanish moss and stone and brick pathways meandering around:

Nice stream running through the park with quaint bridges and stone wall waterfall follies:

and giant Ceiba trees:

These two cute gals were kind enough to pose for a shot. One had on a traditional dress:

There were all kinds of hand painted signs to tourist towns in the area:

Plenty of places to visit in the boonies around here. After leaving the park I wandered around town. I like this stone church:

And this sculpture in the main square made out of welded 1/4" brass wire strands. His loincloth is a little weak. But I like the wings and the eagle coming out of his chest:

Old town market area:

And I'm a sucker for bluegreen fanpalms:

Pretty nice place this San Gil. Maybe I'll leave tomorrow. I spent 49,000 pesos (28,00) on food, lodging, park entry and a hat today.

Saludos,
Juanito
johnthomasdowns.blogspot.com

JDowns screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 03:31 PM
JDowns is online now   Reply With Quote