View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #29
SPO OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
We made our way along the trail, and I took every opportunity to drink in what I was doing. I was on the CDR, on a classic bike that I rebuilt/mod'ed myself, and the weather was amazing. I couldn't stop smiling.

Luckily, it hadn't rained in a while, so the dreaded mud pits of New Mexico were nowhere to be found. I recognized sections of the trail from other ride reports that looked impassible when muddy, and they just flew by our footpegs due to our fantastic luck.
Better to be lucky than good.

We passed farms and ranchlands filled with livestock. Little dells in the middle of nowhere. What must it be like to live this far from a hipster coffee shop I wondered...

Waaaay off in the distance, some rain clouds finally started to threaten. We picked up the pace and enjoyed the roller coaster ride.
We finally hit pavement.

I felt a sense of sadness that my first day on the trail was at an end, and at the same time a sense of accomplishment like no other I had experienced. I had started in Oakland, CA four days earlier, ridden through a national park, across 4 states, over mountains, through epic rain and lightning storms, through desert heat, and across sandy washes. I didn't fall, and I was rockin' the street tire in the rear.

Damn, it feels good to be a gangster.
SPO is offline   Reply With Quote