View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #23
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramv View Post
That's a big savings! Here, e-85 is only about 10% cheaper than 87 octane(90% gasoline/10% ethanol), and the fuel mileage suffers substantially when running it on E85 capable vehicles, eating up any cost savings.
If the powers that be woke up one morning and decided to get NREL or CSIRO to research a few things and acted on facts you could have your cake and eat it too. But the pollies knee jerked their way from one decision to the next and came up with a mess.

There is nothing wrong with Ethanol itself, it's just it's often dumped into cheap fuel and sold with a bad formulation.
There has been plenty of experience using alcohol fuels and as as an engineering problem it's not hard.

It would have been way better if they just said that you can use either. 98RON on this side 108RON ethanol on the other.
I am sure that a few manufactures would have taken advantage of that and come up with some serious alcohol burning super bikes / cars. 15:1 compression ratios and big power are all possible without any problems.

Heck while you are at it why not get all that fracked gas and pig farts and nitrate it. Then you have a nice transportable liquid you don't have to compress to 10 million PSI called Nitromethane.

You should be able to chase super bikes on a 125 using that stuff.

Plenty of ways to skin a cat, just that the way it has been implemented makes Monty Python skit look serious.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote