View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 06:29 AM   #206
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
Not sure what days we'll be on the trail, but I plan to do what I can to check it out.

In the past, routes like these we've run, (WABDR, UTBDR) it seems like you're always catching and joining up with small groups from day to day.

CO can be tough, weather and terrain-wise. If you are not use to the altitude, best to pace yourself and give more time than you would think. Just looking a mileage alone can get you in trouble and pushing harder than you should, let alone on a big bike with luggage. Pack plenty of water and stay hydrated. Us flatlanders can get in bad shape real fast once you start to climb.

Better to plan a few extra days in there just in case. You can always hop on pavement and be to almost anywhere in CO is about 8 hrs or less, worst case.

Can't wait to get back!
No joke about the altitude. Luckily, my Dad lived in Golden, so I'm a bit used to it. My sister and I rode my 950 to the top of Mt. Evans. At the top I had to push the bike back a few feet so we could load up to leave, and I immediately started seeing spots. Never felt bad at all, but it was amazing how fast the lack of oxygen hit me.

My favorite little rides so far in Colorado were the Peak to Peak:

I was doing the Peak to Peak two-up with my sister when we ran into a massive storm north of Nederland -- including hail. She loved it. But, I think my favorite road so far was Crawford Gulch:

Can't wait to get the big girl off the beaten path out there. Hey, CJ, I was planning on putting on a K60 for that trip, but what front tire would you recommend for a round trip like that? That's over 2,000 miles that will likely include everything from freeway to sand.

Orangecicle screwed with this post 02-09-2013 at 06:37 AM
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote