View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #1268
cvd6262
n00by-est
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 17
A few cosmetic patches for my XL185s

While I wait for the Haynes manual to arrive, I turned my attention to less mechanical issues. I had epoxied the headlight case back together, but there was a large chunk missing off the front. Someone recommended QuikSteel epoxy putty, so I gave it a try.

First I mocked up the patch with my sons' Pay-Doh.

 photo headlight01_zpsa636071a.jpg

This gave me an idea of how much epoxy putty I would need.

 photo headlight02_zps7f26eff3.jpg

I know, it doesn't look good. This is a very rough job.

 photo headlight03_zps8098b45d.jpg

But once I sanded it down (thank you rotary tool), it doesn't look too bad. Any suggestions on the type of spray paint I should use? I'm going matte to hide the uneven surfaces.

 photo headlight04_zpscfd6799e.jpg

- - - - - -

These little rubber things hold the rear turn signals. They're like $50 OEM, so I decided to fab my own.

 photo rubber01_zps9fefee70.jpg

I originally planned to use these cutting boards I picked up for $20 at IKEA, but my wife laid claim to them and gave me an old one of hers. I figured that was a fair exchange since she was letting me work in her kitchen rather than in my freezing garage.

 photo rubber02_zps4119a2bd.jpg

 photo rubber03_zpsf87064a9.jpg

It was more difficult than I had anticipated to shape the pieces so they would fit snugly in their brackets. So I decided to heat up the bracket on the stove, and then use the bracket to mold the piece.

 photo rubber04_zps8d9d2243.jpg

 photo rubber05_zpsff0c1664.jpg

Here's the finished bracket.

 photo rubber06_zps3e24cf81.jpg

 photo rubber07_zpsa2bede1a.jpg

I do worry that they might melt in the hot summer sun, but I figure this cutting board had been through the dish washer 100 times in 100+degree water, so it *might* work.
cvd6262 is offline   Reply With Quote