View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
Mr Head OP
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,038
Another Adventure Commute

So, a while ago I got paid to ride my bike to work.

Now, it's happening again. This will be a short five hour slab.

This one began in the usual hurry up we forgot to plan anything manner I've become accustomed to from my handlers.

A week ago two of these guys put their heads together and decided this is what we'd do. Of course they didn't talk to me about my schedule.
You see I'm off on assignment in the land of the blue-haired ninjas and have been for several months now. Things were purring along at a good clip, sometimes frantic sometimes mellow. The usual roller coaster ride.

We get a trip back home every 21 days so this weekend was to be my first. I'd been driving the five hours each way when I could take the time in an attempt to see some of my wife and daughters and keep whittling away at that honey-do list.

One thing on that list had been the service on my Adventure. Mostly it has been rotting in the garage for the last seven months. I'd ridden it twice to coffee in that time.
Yeah full Starbucks Adventure mode. Only I didn't go to Starbucks.

Anyway, the handlers and the travel folks decided I'd be switching modes on Monday; meaning no more hire car, and I'd need to switch to a month to month rate hotel. They "Fixed" that up real nice for me.

See, I didn't have to make this switch until mid March so we had time. I'd ordered some parts and was toying with ordering some more gear to replace the worn out bits and pieces.
First thing that happened is the hotel got nuked thanks to the travel lady swapping the charge form the corporate deal to the travel folks deal. My room went away.
Great. That meant Thursday night I had to drive across the valley a nice way to spend three hours. Then pack all my rap and arrange a new flight since the original round trip got nuked too. Now, I'd be traveling one way.
All that meant I had Saturday to do all the service work and run any errands and hopefully nothing would go amiss.

Oh, and just to add a bit more pressure, the deal usually includes a paid day at either end to pack and unpack. I don't get that since we're in hell-bent-for-leather mode. And just because that wasn't quite enough I got handed some work that somebody else was supposed to have done, in fact three somebody elses were to have done.

Suffice to say, that ain't getting worked by me this weekend. My time just ran out.

I got to the airport in plenty of time to avoid most of the stupid traffic but but not the horrible pizza, and one dumb fuck who decided it was a great idea to carry one his ginormous bag and stuff it into the overhead then slam the lid hard enough to break the hinge.
No really break the hinge. So the whole plane gets to sit there and wait for a mechanic to come over with parts and re-work it. Great guy. I think we all should have gotten to kick him in the jimmy on the way off the plane.

So my plane was late getting to the home airport and I was too beat to do anything ther than partially unpack and head to bed at 10:30PM, having been awake since 3 AM.

I woke at 4:30 as usual, only that's 3:30 here.

Finally gave up on sleeping made coffee and headed out the garage, where I find my new hottie battery. Damn! I ordered the terminals backwards.

Good time to go for a drive and think this over. Off to coffee and a long think...

The problem:

Solved,

I got the oils and filter changed and decided to let the valves be. Checked the TB's and they were right where I left them whenever it was I touched them last. Old motorcycles are nice in that they are very stable.

Now it was time to get some packing done.

Camping crap plus work crap and of course the outsized near-useless laptop I do my work with...

Part of the pile,

Part of it packed,

All that remains is the big yellow bag of stuff and a tank of gas, and I'll be on the road tomorrow sometime.

More later, Now it's time for a beer and the hot tub.
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote