View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #2869
wawarides
where's Laura0107?

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Tell us about the ride, pictures if you get them and let us know how the jacket/liner works out for you.

I like reading about what others are doing.
OK!

A friend and I rode about 200 miles today on county dirt roads, dirt & gravel National Forest roads, and some 2-lane blacktop in the central to Western parts of SC. I was on my DR650SE and he was on a DR-Z400. It was a beautiful sunny day, with temps ranging from the high 40's to the low 60's Farenheit.

I really liked the Santiago jacket. The armor was not noticeable and the jacket was very comfy. The two-way main zipper is a neat feature. The yellow & khaki color looked pretty good with my dark gray (which are actually dark green and black) Klim Dakar pants. I can tell that it will be an awesome summer jacket due to the amount of air it flows. The PrimaLoft jacket as a liner was fine, though next time if it will be below 50 or 55 degrees, I'll add a thin windblock liner from another jacket over the PrimaLoft. I wasn't painfully cold below those temps today, but felt the need for a little more wind blocking. I don't like dealing with two liners, but will either do that with this one or else just wear my Teknic Sequoia, which has a coated shell and is quite toasty. I took the liner out of the Santiago today when the temps got above 60. My next experiment with it will be a long ride when the temps range from the high 30's to the mid 50's, adding a windblock layer over the PrimaLoft as mentioned above. (I don't have any heated gear). So the verdict right now is Spring/Summer/Fall jacket? - "yes!"; Winter jacket? - "we'll see".

The first four photos are the only ones I took today, when we stopped to dislodge some gummy clay from the bikes. We both had knobbies under there, I promise! I was just going too slow through that muck. Thankfully we had some 60 mph dirt roads earlier in the day to balance out the 30 minutes or so it took to deal with that clay. The other photos are from previous rides on some of these same roads.