View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 05:55 AM   #79
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Oddometer: 291
carnival in florianopolis, brazil

sunday, february 10, 2013

right now, the protocol for everyone on this island is: wake up, go to the beach, take a 4 hour nap, go out and party hard all night until 6am - repeat, repeat, repeat. it's best to do as the locals do.

i met a super nice couple from sao paulo, brazil who are here at the same pousada, spending carnival in floripa. vini, bruna and i have gone out a couple of times together. they are kind enough to speaking slowly and clearly for me so that i can continue to improve my portuguese.

vini & bruna, carnival da rua, santo antonio de lisboa, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

friday night, we went to a club called music park, which is a multi-venue complex out in the middle of nowhere on the island. we went to a show headlined by fatboy slim. made some other new friends at the show. alberto is a commissary for the venue, and liked the fact that i arrived to floripa on a motorcycle.

devassa/posh nightclub, florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

americano divertindo, devassa/posh nightclub, florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

alberto, ?, vini, bruna, e me, devassa/posh nightclub, florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

i wasn't that into the DJ scene that night, and most people seemed to be just standing around looking at each other and half-assing it on the dance floor. come on people! it's carnival! put it into a lower gear and get it done!

butterfly dancers, devassa/posh nightclub, florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

close butterfly, devassa/posh nightclub, florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

saturday, during the day, i met up with my friend leila, who was the person i met 11 years ago in san francisco who told me i should visit floripa. leila is living north of the island in balneario cambourio, brazil, with her boyfriend and her 7 dogs. was really nice to see an old friend.

leila e me, florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

i think the two twin sisters that work at the beach shack making deep fried, meat-filled pastels have a thing for me, but they don't seem like the clubbing type.

pastel lady, praia jurere, florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

last night, i went with vini and bruna to santo antonio de lisboa, a neighborhood that is about 10 miles south of jurere. there, they host a more traditional street carnival. along the main drag, people pack the streets, waiting for this huge truck with a band on top to pass by. the truck moves at about .0001 miles per hour, that's slow. people flow around the truck as it passes, dancing to traditional songs and generally having a good time. then it gets to the end of the 4 block main drag (it's a small town), and it's over.

carnival da rua, santo antonio de lisboa, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

the big music truck thing, carnival da rua, santo antonio de lisboa, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

Untitled by porkandcorn, on Flickr

people still hang out and party, but that's generally what a street carnival is like. in a bigger city, there would be more trucks, samba groups, drum groups, passing by like a parade. i met the "father of carnival". he gets the key to the city, i suppose so that for these 5 days, him and his fellow partiers can do whatever the hell they want - a "hall pass", if you will.

father of carnival, carnival da rua, santo antonio de lisboa, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

VIP, carnival da rua, santo antonio de lisboa, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

you think that might be enough partying for one night? no. they it was off to a masquerade party. i bought a 5.00 mask outside the venue, which i later gave away. this time, the DJ knew what he was doing, playing more diverse types of electronic/dance music. lots of beautiful people out doing their best to impress each other. it was like an episode of mutual of omaha's wild kingdom. i had a good time, and sweat clear through my jeans and shirt dancing. i literally had to wring them out in the shower when i got home at 5:30am.

festa de masquerade, jurere - florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

a gente boa, festa de masquerade, jurere - florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

atras, festa de masquerade, jurere - florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

fresh air, festa de masquerade, jurere - florianopolis, brazil by porkandcorn, on Flickr

then up for breakfast, and now off to a BBQ with some other old friends from 10 years ago that i haven't seen yet.

repeat, repeat, repeat until wednesday morning when i leave for argentina and the next leg of my journey.
porkandcorn is offline   Reply With Quote