View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #513
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,318
San Diego to Twentynine Palms

Yeah, Kelly. See you when you get back down to St. George. Warmer weather is coming.

Here are a few pics from my time in downtown San Diego. Nice waterfront area.

Lots of WWII history.

Pleasure craft skirting under the nose of the Midway. The Midway is a great museum with lots of aircraft. Been on it before with the family. Well worth it!

Older sailing ship - Star of India.

And the modern cruise ship. Although I think some cruise lines have relocated ships away from Pacific Coast of Mexico, too much trouble. Hope this clears up. LA and San Diego are much easier departure ports than Florida.

Some waterfront sculpture.

Active navy presence in San Diego Bay. Park next to Midway is being renovated. Very nice setting.

Fishing vessel.

Looking back at my hotel.

Finally finished business and was back on the road by late morning. It was good to be rolling. Hadn't been on the bike for 2+ days, and was ready to get moving. Left downtown San Diego via Interstate 8, simply an efficient way to get out towards Alpine, CA quickly. Stopped once for a drink, then left Interstate 8 for CA 79 north. This was a good motorbike road. My advance research was going to pay off.

Heading towards Julian I immediately starting seeing lots of bikers -- solos, groups, Harleys, sportbikes, etc. It was Saturday afternoon with good weather in SoCal. Everyone was out for a ride.

One overlook offerred the big view down. Looking towards Anza Borrego Desert State Park below. Large elevation changes, especially with lots of areas at sea level.

Poked around Julian for a bit. Decided to buy some gas, probably about $5 a gallon. Seemed best to keep the bike tanked up before heading out in the desert. Turned out never even hit reserve for the V, but I was conscience about topping up as I was never certain of my route or the next gas stop.

Grabbed a quick pic of this classic BMW before moving on.

Dropped some elevation and entered Anza Borrego Desert State Park. Have fond memories of camping here with wife (at that time fiancee) about 20 years ago. Wife remembers all of it too -- flying kites, hiking, cold desert nights, etc.

Windshield view. The V does great for this type of trip. But, if I was going to log lots of asphalt miles at speed, I would want a bike with a better wind protection. The constant wind blast gradually tires you out. No complaints, though. The V was fine.

Stopped for an obligatory pic by the Salton Sea -- it's no Lake Tahoe. I remember being on the east shore 20 years ago, not much there either. Certainly the west side was nothing special. Good place to make mileage.

Drainage ditch or irrigation canal. Overall, an unpleasant area. Good to be passing through when the temps were lower. In mid-summer this would not be the place to be.

More gas at an AM/PM. I used to work for ARCO Alaska (in Anchorage). AM/PM as the downsteam distribution for ARCO's share of Prudhoe Bay. The AM/PM has a very southern CA look and feel to me. Half the people couldn't figure out how to use the payment kiosk. Lead to some longer lines.

Some signs of agriculture at the northern end of the Salton Sea. Town of Mecca had this nice mural (not much else). Worth grabbing a pic.

Found a good twisty road through Box Canyon. Left the town and agriculture behind, started heading for Joshua Tree.

It was clouding up now, but Box Canyon was scenic. Lots of loose sand just off the road surface. Warranted close attention when stopping the bike. Easiest was just to stay on the pavement.

Crossed over Interstate 10 (nothing there) and entered Joshua Tree National Park.

Really enjoyed this road. It was great for motorbikes. The sky was overcast and it was getting later in the afternoon. Put the camera away and just enjoyed the ride. Many fond memories of camping, hiking, and mountain biking in Joshua Tree, again all from 20 years ago. Didn't poke around much off the road, just kept on the gas heading to 29 Palms. I would definitely be worth revisiting Joshua Tree with time to explore. Good times and good memories.

Pulled in to Twentynine Palms just before dusk. Basic set of hotel choices. In keeping with my luxury living theme from Blythe on the way to San Diego, I opted for the Motel 6. I figure with the advertised rate of $50 for one person, this must be the ticket. I'm one person. All I want is a bed and a shower and perhaps some stupid TV time. It'll do. Done.

I took this pic the next morning. My room was 128 so I could look out my window/door and see the Versys resting peacefully. This was a good ride. I was really looking forward to the next day: Amboy, Kelso, Mojave National Preserve, then home.

Thanks for riding along inmates and lurkers!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976

RedRockRider screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 07:38 PM
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote