View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 05:42 AM   #24868
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodder View Post
Can't remember if was in here or on ThumperTalk, but there was a long discussion about the alignment of the lower (clutch end) adjustment bracket. On mine, when I removed the airbox, you could see that the end of the cable was not pointed at the end of the lower clutch actuation lever during mid-stroke. Obviously, it can not be perfectly aligned for the entire throw, but it was way off causing the cable to rub significantly on the end of the adjustment threads. With some vice and large crescent-wrench work, I bent the bracket so the cable at least pointed at the lever. Made a HUGE difference. Probably 50% lighter at the clutch lever and much smoother; can't feel that grinding any longer.
Definitely makes a difference - problem can start with where the actuating arm is adjusted for the start of the pull but this cannot be adjusted without dropping the oil and removing the side cover and adjusting the nut on the rod. The plate can be tweaked for better alignment and you can also look at the ferule at the hand lever and slop there - can be taken up quite simply with a small strip of shimstock wound round the tip of the cable which is a thinner OD than the lever ferule (some have actually turned an additional sleeve piece but not really necessary - see on Cafe Husky)

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'Fuck, what a trip!'

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcyclists.
BiG DoM is offline   Reply With Quote