View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 06:19 AM   #6950
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in Regina View Post
Actually, shaping points have always been hidden on Garmin devices. Except Zumos. Or at least in the 10 or so years I've been using Garmin products (iQue 3600, iQue 3600A, Mobile PC, Mobile XT, nRoute, GPS10x, eTrex Legend HCx, Nuvi 765T, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 40). (My Approach G6 probably doesn't count cuz it's dedicated to the golf course.)

Don't take my word for it. Do this test. Create a two point route (A to B) in Basecamp or Mapsource. Make sure there are a few turns necessary to get from A to B. Export the route to a GPX file and view it in your favorite XML viewer or a text editor like Notepad. You will see a bunch of shaping points in the route. Transfer that route into any (non-Zumo) Garmin nav device that supports loading routes. Activate the route and look at the map. You will only see points A and B disolayed. None of the shaping points you see in the GPX file will be displayed nor will they be announced ... except that the appropriate turns they mark will be announced, of course.

Except on a Zumo.

When Garmin created the Zumo to support the sorts of off-the-beaten-path routing that motorcyclists and some RV travellers like to use, a side-effect of the way they implemented some of the features was that shaping points became visible, in all respects, eg. they showed up on the map display and they were announced just like waypoints or POIs used in the route.

This, of course, was an undesirable side-effect so a workaround had to be devised.

The "shaping point" and "via point" terminology has existed in the Garmin vocabulary for a very long time. But it had to be added to the GPX spec so the Zumo could distinguish them and handle them appropriately. And, of course, the code had to be added to the Zumos.

The side-effect is that the features can now be used in devices like the Montana and future devices aimed at folks like us who like to travel like cats. :)

...ken....

I think the biggest confusion is because Garmin CREATED a new type of shaping point. In other words, one that the user manually inserts while creating a route, They should have named it something else, or better yet, just left it what it actually is, a Via point with a preference selected for not being announced.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote