View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #205
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 237
WNWT Day 34

Saturday morning in Anson, TX... cloudy and cool 40's. Never cracked 50 degrees all day and ran through showers on and off most of the day making it a fairly gloomy day for travel. Never had to go full wetsuit because of the rain but had the rain jacket on and off a few times to keep my coat from getting too waterlogged.

Goal for the day is Paris, TX.

Was on 380, 59, and 82 most of the day. Roads weren't particularly entertaining, but towns were coming along more frequently and I really enjoy rolling through rural towns... trying to get a feel for their "pulse" in just the few minutes I might be there. Went by some great auto salvage yards through this part of the state. Most of the yards in Iowa seem to be crushing all their older stuff. Lots of interesting old stuff still sitting in the lots in this part of Texas. I like old semi trucks and I went by a huge yard that had probably 100 old trucks, very cool.

My buddy Chapman really wanted me to see some "Griswold Texas Vacation" kind of sites... so these photos are dedicated to you buddy.

Volkswagen "Bug"

Truckboxhenge

Huge steel bull

The worlds second tallest Eiffel Tower, complete with cowboy hat courtesy of Paris, TX. Pic actually taken the next morning but thought it belonged with the other pics

EXORG was pining for a pic of one of the hundreds upon hundreds of Texas Historic markers... here you go man. Random marker from Saturday's ride...

Crossed I-35 at Gainsville, TX. Captain Garmin said it was 665 miles back home that route... mmm, not fun enough. The Ozarks are calling...

Stopped in at this station but their card reader wasn't working and didn't look like they had Powerball so moved on...

My goal for Paris ended up working out perfectly. Looking at the storms forecast for Texas on Saturday night I was trying to get some good miles but be done before things started happening plus have the most options for routes North and East on Sunday.

Pulled into Paris, found a place to stay and just as I had unpacked I heard really loud crashing. Sounded like they were doing demolition in the rooms above me or something... I'm thinking "oh great". Nope, not remodeling. Thunder and lighting, then heavy rain. I sure timed that right. 315 mile day... now 548.9 miles from home as the crow flies...

Rained off and on all evening. The motel had an attached restaurant, I talked them into fixing me something off their breakfast menu and had a pretty average plate of eggs, bacon, and hashbrowns. Wasn't picture worthy.

When I checked in, I asked if I could park under the front desk canopy since it was supposed to storm. "Sure" she said. "Great" I says. Then she put me into the room absolutely farthest from the front desk. Didn't really realize it till I got there and as much trouble as she had checking me in (her first day by herself) I decided not to ask for a different room.

Bummer... no Speed channel to watch Supercross on... but good wi-fi and could watch the online coverage. Congrats on another race win to Davi Millsaps... really rooting for this guy to win the championship now.

Watched a line of storms form in west Texas and move across the state. They hit Paris around 4am. Wind and hail were the biggest threat. I went out and pushed the Triumph under the overhang in front of my room. Fell back asleep but I think it was really just heavy rain.

Several options for the next couple of days... needed to see what weather was like on Sunday before making a final plan.
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote