View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #1896
farp
DualsportBC Rider

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
OK I am a liar. The facts are out there folks, it gets frustrating to read some of these forum facts.

The engine in made by Loncin. At least most of it is, I am not sure about the head, as it is different than the one on the G 650/Sertao. In fact most of the differences are above the crankcase and that may be a saving grace for keeping one of these running, if its run ends.

Occasional problems on other bikes like the KLR are ruined cam bearings and burnt valves. Usually owner error, but could be a problem if you do it on this bike. The head is unique to the model. A BMW version may bolt on, but the differences will effect the timing.

The electronics are Martelli, an Italian firm. It is a fuel injected bike. On its spec sheet it clearly says Martelli engine management system with a closed loop injection and emission function. That spells computor and probably designed specifically for this engine. That may be a problem as they are expensive and based on the BMW f650singles and F800s, are not reprogramable. Ever compare the cost of a fuel pump, controller and injectors compared to a carb? At least it does not have Canbus. That is reliable but expensive to replicate.

I don't know where the rest of parts are made, but they are all assembled in the new plant in Italy. Parts from those venders should be available.

Another seemly oddball part are the forks. 46mm Showa forks, hopefully are not built to BMW specs, as the F800 forks are. Does Showa even make another 46mm fork? Just in case you need seals or bushings.

Compared to any of the old Japanese 650 models this bike is high tech. The KLR is made in Thailand. How can Husquarna sell this bike for $500 more and make a profit? If they don't, the answer is not to make more of them.

It is interesting that KTM already has included the Husqvarna bikes as a parts source: http://www.ktm-parts.com/13TR650T.html
Notice anything odd about it?
Uhmmmm..... not trying to stir the pot here but the front forks are Sachs, not Showa.
farp is offline   Reply With Quote