View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #13
Ken in Regina
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
As you might already know, the F650GS, F700 and F800 are all 800cc engine, just different tuning for horsepower output.

I have a 2011 F650GS and would not hesitate to take long trips 2-up on it. Unfortunately my wife is no longer interested in riding on the back of a motorcycle.

I cannot understand the thinking of someone who says you *need* a 1200 for 2-up touring. When my wife and I started touring in the '70s the biggest bike we owned was a Suzuki GT750. It had much less horsepower and much more weight than the F650/700/800. But it took us and our gear on extended touring trips with no problem.

My F650GS has a far better power-to-weight situation and is very happy the occasional time my wife agrees to come for a ride.

I have the factory-lowered model with low seat. I do not recommend this model for your situation. The rear suspension is set up for very light weight. I am 5'6" so you are a little bit taller than me. The standard model should fit. If you feel it is a little bit too tall, just buy a lowered seat.

I have tried my lowered seat on my friend's standard model and I could easily ride like that.

Even riding solo I have ordered a new rear suspension with a stronger spring and a little bit longer shock to give the bike some more ground clearance. If I was doing it again I would buy the standard bike with the low seat and be very happy. I'm 185 lb. with all my riding gear on.

...ken...
Ken in Regina is offline   Reply With Quote