View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #1363
Throttlemeister OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,576
Time in Cali refitting

When spent from the night of 19th of Feb until the afternoon of 22nd of Feb in Cali working on the bikes at Asturias while we stayed with Alain his wife Paola and his two sons, Matias, and Lucas. We had a great time getting small items repaired and changing out parts on the bikes.

I'd picked up Adam a set of fork seals the last time I was in Cali planning while at the time not planning on meeting in Cali like we did. I also had his up to date registration papers for his bike that he previous owner had mailed to me in Oklahoma that I'd carried down to give to Adam. Funny we originally thought we would be meeting in Venezuela, oh how things change

I got my bike in the shop at Austurias first and went about repairing all the items on my list, a new front tire; a great Brazilian made MT-21 I freaking love those things New fork oil, seals, wipers installed along with working on my gas tank once more where the fuel was coming back through the wiring harness again. I pulled the triple link on the shock and cleaned up and greased all the bearings and possibly new waterpump seals IIRC.

While I was starting at the shop Adam kept his bike at Alain's place and did a through cleaning on the driveway while Alain and I drank beer above and watch Adam doing a fine job on the DR. I think he does a much better job keeping his bike clean than I do

We pestered him from above while he worked hard:

Adam needed some new tires, he tried taking some photos with my camera at the shop tying to show the wear on an MT-21 front and some other Perelli tire I'm not familiar with:

You can get near maximum wear out of these babies if you flip the rotation on them every couple thousand Km, last a lot longer than just grinding them on one side as they will cupped badly after lots of kms. Looks like he did a good job getting the life out of this one.

His rear tire was not much better, I think he went with a set of SaharaIIIs IIRC as he liked them quite a bit.

Just about like Indian tread, "Leavea not tracka"

He had to work on the carrier bearing on the DR650 and shim it a bit with some extra metal for a little more snug fit, along with oil/filter and valve check.

Besides all the work at the shop going on during the days in Cali there was also some screwing off happening.

Always some screwing off to be had when hanging out with Alain

Adam even joined in on the fun:

One of the locals at Asturias who's name escaped me had a really sweet Ducati bike along with some of his other toys. He wanted to show us a sweet ole sleeper Stang with a supercharger, sounded tempted so we took a break from shop duty and went to have a look at his nice silver pony car.
Looks innocent enough eh

But nicely fit underneath the hood was a little burner motor cleanly installed, don't remember if it was a 289 base block or a bigger bore, I bet it would turn the tires pretty good

Didn't expect to see that in Cali, most have been brought in back in the heydays of the cartels
And the proud owner, he had some others down in the parking garage he was happy to show us on our lunch break.

This is my favorite mechanic shop in all of Colombia, Jorge and his wife Suri are super nice people and have been very good to me, plus Jorge helps me perfect my mechanic Spanish along with the help of his youngest son. They've got a great crew working with them and although they may not be the cheapest in Cali but I know they are the best! I love spending time in the shop down there And Alain is the perfect shop host and keeps the coffee pot always hot and a good extra hand working on those hard little projects He helped me out more than once.

Tres Amigos better framed, Thanks Alain for all you did for us both. Your our man in Cali

We both had an excellent time and where sad to have to leave out of Cali so quick I shall return...

By the 22nd of Feb Wednesday afternoon we knew we had to get cracking to the North as I still needed to get to Cartagena to pick up my old shock and then over to Caracas to fly out and the time was burning too quickly, somethings got to give especially since we where headed to the biggest trap in all of Colombia, MEDELLIN

We had to get gone fast