View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #24
fredgilb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
When we reached the days village in Belleville, we were greeted by a hoard of eager people running around giving all the riders vouchers for welcome packages that included a bottle of Beaujolais. Things were settling down, I hadn't had any major outbreaks of stupidity to rectify so I could relax and enjoy the evening which included a wine tasting avec fromage. Nice. I was a little worried about how I was going to manage holding on to the wine for the duration........so, I handed it to Marc Sanchez, the main man of the support crew. "Ohh, merci, un Brouilly!"
Hmm it's raining again. I think I may be getting used to it. Tomorrow we head for the Alps. 400 km. with 3 Special stages. One of which we do twice. Here's what the route looks like

Day 5 we head out of Bellevlle in the densest fog I've ever experienced. Forget the visor. What's worse, looking through what looks like a frosted shower door or unfocused vision with no glasses?
First special stage, Chemin de la Guerre, translated = War Path ! Hmm..sounds promising. You know when you get to the start and there's a yellow and orange stripped flag, there's gonna be trouble! Through the forest, super damp, and super bumpy. No thanks, I'll pass, just get me to the end....... in one piece. Two of the front runners "bin it" but manage to keep going. Here I am tip toeing around the "war path".........

That's Laurent Cochet. I'm telling him that he's to blame for my being here. He's a journalist with Moto-Journal. They produced the video's that hooked me into entering. This was his first time piloting a sidecar rig. I think he picked a good year to try it. It's a whole lot easier to slide on 3 wheels. In fact there we're some stages where the sidecars set the fastest times if it was wet. He let me use a lot of his footage in my video after my GoPro mount disintegrated.

fredgilb screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 12:19 PM
fredgilb is online now   Reply With Quote