View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #641
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 502
I tend to agree with Lujo.

The original stator design by BWM has proven unreliable over the long haul. BMW has opted not to address by warrenttee for those of us who are "lucky"??? enough to get beyond 36k miles/3 years. BMW does seem to have a cooling fix in the new stator/rotor replacement part for $900...but candidly it too, has not been proven over the long haul in the field yet.

I agree there is no reason at all to think that Ricks or Electro sport replacements are in any way inferior to the original BMW stator, and some reason to believe that they have to attempted to improve their stator performance.

I will be opening up my 3 year old, 30+ k mile F650 (stator has not failed to date) to see how toastie it is. Unless it shows no signs of over heating, I will replace it with either Ricks or Elctrosport...so I can ride this year with more confidence than I could have with the inferior OEM BMW stator in place.

Just waiting for a day above freezing to get in to the garage to check it out.

ps There has been a pretty thorought thread on this topic last year, and several knowledgable people could NOT come up with the epoxy potting that would have significantly higher temp rating....that is why BMW has opted for complex oil throwing mechanical design and the after market guys have tried to reduce the heat generated in the stator

vtbob screwed with this post 02-12-2013 at 08:10 AM Reason: added ps
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote