View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #73850
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I think I payed about 40 bucks shipped for each of my xrl sidecovers with a forum member discount from another forum. Even without the discount they weren't much more. I wonder why suzuki charges so much for the DR parts?....prolly the same reason they charge so much for the busa parts.....because its a suzuki ........I'm very careful with my busa
My Kawi's always seemed fairly cheap considering as well.....
You've got this wrong. Suzuki OEM parts are generally close to what the other Japanese Big Four charge for genuine OEM parts. THEY ALL ARE EXPENSIVE ... and KTM are even higher. Ever price a stock Mahle piston for a KTM?

My guess is your XR-L side panels are after market. Right?

Thing is ... the aftermarket plastic companies typically pick the most popular and newer bikes. Mostly race motocross bikes are provided for.

ALL the Suzuki RM and RMZ series are covered by companies like Acerbis, Maier and others. The DR650 never made the Cut. Shame. Moto Cross guys fall down all the time ... they scuff up body work then buy all new plastic before selling the bike off and buying next year model. On and on.

But anybody looking around the market will see that NOW the DR650 is a hugely popular bike. More and more suppliers are jumping in and making Parts to fit the DR650.

Thing is ... plastic body work will never be a big seller on the DR as most guys don't do serious off road and don't crash much.
NO PROFIT = NO PARTS.

Pro Cycle saw this popularity coming ... and gathered together all the companies that provide DR650 support. (a major effort I would think) So now we've got ONE STOP shopping. Will be interesting to see if someone steps up in future with aftermarket plastic for the DR ... we've only waited 16 years!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote