Old 02-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #169
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
battery questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
well said

computer batteries are not lead acid batteries or similar they need a very specific charging rate...

I used to be a very skilled electric hobby car enthusiast...and batteries and how to charge and DISCHARGE them is a science that you can learn a lot from

lipos
and all the new lithium style batteries need very specific charging and especially the need to not be overcharged they are also designed to be drained to almost zero volts...and charged back up fully...

nicads and nimhs are better at this but they simply are not designed to be topped off all the time..its really easy to make a battery pack the problem is on a bike they will simply burn up(how long do tusk brand battery packs last? like 6 months?) even the big dualsport kits come with crap batteries.

you need to think about getting a small deep cycle marine style or rv type unit...

just my thoughts and cents

good luck on the bike, coming along great
thanks for the good info. I guess my question is this then: I have no room for a bigger battery. But I'm scared running w/o a battery is going to damage the charging system?

any thoughts or ideas?

thanks,

L
LandsVW is online now   Reply With Quote