View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
bigtodd OP
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,309
Day 3

Over the fire the night before we talked through a couple of ideas for how to head home. Neither one of us was too interested in slabbing home and wanted to really make it a worth while day. Well we accomplished that and more. After how smooth our last 2 days had been, we made the ambitious decision to take the Westside Rd to Warm Springs Canyon, across Butte Valley, down Goler Wash, through Balarat and then ride home through Trona and the 395. Piece of cake ... my dad used to tell me, "do the hard work first so it always gets easier." Let's just say we had a long day.

Just before breaking camp and Furnace Creek

We had breakfast at the coffee shop and John fielded his 100th queston about his gas tank

With the long ride ahead, topping off the tanks seemed wise. Finally get the gas price pic into the ride report

Westside Road

Turning for Warm Spring Canyon, I started thinking this is where we really take this trip to the next level

Starting at the base of the mountain the road is big loose gravel and stays that way all the way up to Warm Spring Camp. I really don't like riding in that stuff ... would rather ride in deep sand.

The camp site appeared to have a new roof, but the pool still needs some work

The ride from Warm Srping to Butte Valley was pretty easy, lots of big rocks everywhere. I caught a large boulder on the side of the trail with the engine guard that knocked me over into the other track, for sure would have been a GS head buster without the guard.

I have seen lots of pics of this area but had never been there. Pretty amazing!

Coming out of Butte Valley and starting up to Mengel we were making great time working our way up the mountain. Then we hit our first major obstacle of the whole ride. Maybe 100' of huge boulders and wash outs that we had to push and pull the big bikes up and over just below the crest of Mengel Pass.

We made it though, celebrated with a couple of oranges at the peak. This is one of my favorite pics of the trip at the top of Mengel ... doesn't matter if you ride a BMW or KTM. As it says on John's bike

ADVENTURE

We rolled on down to Panamint Valley and Ballarat. I was following John waiting for him to signal the dreaded Goler Wash steps. When he did finally roll to a stop we were out of the canyon and looking at the valley. I asked, where was the menacing Goler Wash beemer killer ... guess we got lucky or unlucky depending.

From there rolled out on Ballart Rd and hit the pavement. Stopped in Trona for gas and didn't stop again till we were both home a little before 6:30 and whipped. Was hoping we hit 1,000 mles but came up a little short. All in all, it was an amazing 3 days.

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com

bigtodd screwed with this post 02-12-2013 at 09:33 PM
bigtodd is offline   Reply With Quote