View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #104
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Today we are going to Zipolite on the beach only about 60 miles away. Short day.

Following some cattle:

Nice view:

Arrived in Zipolite and drove down the mainstreet. This was supposed to be a beautiful beach area full of friendly people (so I read). The beach was nice but the streets only contained the hippie variety most of which appeared very burnt out with frowns on their faces. I have no problems with hippies but I was not feeling very welcome here.

Not very impressed we decided to push on to Salina Cruz. Exiting the small town we hit the first military check point that actually made me open one of my bags (we’ve probably crossed two dozen or so).

Passed some wind farms:

SC appears as a large dot on the map next to a lagoon so it must be a nice city on the coast right. 160 miles later we roll into a shit hole that doesn’t feel quite right. Pickups with machine guns mounted atop roaming the streets everywhere. The first hotel we stopped at a guy outside (appeared to be drunk) said, “youuuuuuu better be careful boys, this town is fucked up”. Great! Sun going down, everyone is staring, we drive the end of town with no luck. Back into the cluster we spy a hotel with an automatic roll up gate for secure parking. Knock on the glass….cage opens up and we score an overpriced room full of black mold and a dead cockroach under the sink.

Realizing our plan of not planning is not so great we begin to map out the next week.

Once accomplished we watch movies and check bikes until 2:00 in the morning. 4 hours of sleep and wake up excited that we have bikes and ready to GTFO. I do not recommend Salina Cruz to anybody.
Romanousky is offline   Reply With Quote