View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #8582
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,091
Owner lives near Salida, a great guy who restores bikes in his retirement. Keeps the bike in Denver with relatives. I went up and saw it up close the other day.

Looks a LOT better in pictures than in person.

The paint is not only faded, there's some bad touch-ups done....needs a complete repaint.
Mechanically, it sounded tight and was a good runner - but would require more than I wanted to put into it to make it a good looking bike.

Read up on the 'Belgian Police' thing....interesting story. I did check the VIN, and it's a Euro market bike - so one of the 100 that Butler & Smith got with a few interesting bits.

Kickstarter, black fairing lowers, 40mm Bings, 40mm exhaust, etc.

He was pretty firm on his price, and I lean towards Marc's assessment - if it could be had cheaply enough to offset the amount you'd pour into it to make it sharp....maybe. But not $5250 (IMO).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas View Post
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3570857948.html

'78 BMW R100RS Airhead "Belgian Police model" - $5250 (Denver)

This bike has 25,000 miles . Mileage will vary because it is a daily rider. Maintenance records available to verify the mileage.

I say so called "Belgian Police model" because of the controversy around that whole story. The story goes, that in late '78 Butler & Smith the BMW importer at the time, received a shipment of 100 non-standard (for U.S.) bikes; in with larger than standard 40 mm pipes, big heads, high compression pistons, a different cam, and a kick starter. They were originally intended for another market, maybe the Belgian Police, then offered to Butler & Smith. According to a former B&S employee, "these came to be referred-to by US dealers and riders as 'Belgian Police' or 'Australian' bikes." These bikes have approximately 10% more horse power than the US market bikes.

What I do know is, this bike, VIN#6092620 is a non US market bike with larger than standard 40 mm pipes, big heads, high compression pistons, a different cam, and a kick starter. The bike is in great shape as you would expect from such low mileage and has good tires. It's not perfect, but is as good as can be found with out a complete restoration and the price increase that comes with that.

Fresh oil and filter change. Fresh gear oil in rear end. Included are the black Krauser hard saddlebags not pictured.

Test rides only with a motorcycle license and cash in hand. You break it, you buy it. Clean Colorado title in my name.

Contact John at 719-221-3248 or email back through Craigslist.

Phone texts will not be answered. Don't bother replying by email unless you include your contact information.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote