View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 02:27 AM   #17
Andy_P OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
you obviously didn't stop at the bakery in Reefton
Not yet, Went Christchurch to Greymouth via Authors pass, then went south from Greymouth. My plans have changed a lot, I am in love with the alps, so did a mammoth drive today to Omarama from Te Anau via Invercargill and Dunedin, hugging the coast where I could. I am going to try and get another heli flight tomorrow from somewhere north(ish) of here over mt cook, fox and frans joseph if I can. If I get the heli ride, I will probably head toward Hanmar springs tomorrow, and then past Reefton on Thursday.

There is no doubt about it, I am coming back here to ride. Not sure when, but its going to happen. There is three of us (from ADV) are planning to do the north island next year and add in some sailing, so not sure when I will get back to the south island. I might even try to sneak in a week toward the end of the year.

BTW, if anyone ever asks about frans joseph flights, send them to glacier country scenic flights. I turned them down due to time contraints, but they were the best value for money. I should have done the flight in hindsight, but dont have time to get back to them now. They leave from Whataroa and seem to be negotiable on price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
so have you found yourself leaning into the corners while driving yet?
Yes. But there is a pillar that seems to line up with the vanishing point in the best corners. Most annoying. I also find myself nodding to riders, and wishing I could let overtaking riders know that I am with them mentally. No, I am not just a fuckwit tourist in a motorhome (ok, yes I am) but I am also a rider that sympathises when other riders are stuck behind me. Please forgive me, I try to pull over to the left as far as possible when I see a rider