View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 03:55 AM   #8586
fred flintstone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
Owner lives near Salida, a great guy who restores bikes in his retirement. Keeps the bike in Denver with relatives. I went up and saw it up close the other day.

Looks a LOT better in pictures than in person.

The paint is not only faded, there's some bad touch-ups done....needs a complete repaint.
Mechanically, it sounded tight and was a good runner - but would require more than I wanted to put into it to make it a good looking bike.

Read up on the 'Belgian Police' thing....interesting story. I did check the VIN, and it's a Euro market bike - so one of the 100 that Butler & Smith got with a few interesting bits.

Kickstarter, black fairing lowers, 40mm Bings, 40mm exhaust, etc.

He was pretty firm on his price, and I lean towards Marc's assessment - if it could be had cheaply enough to offset the amount you'd pour into it to make it sharp....maybe. But not $5250 (IMO).
There was one of these for sale out of Durango all fall/winter for $3200, and recently has gone off of Craigslist. Kind of ratty looking even at 3200. Same fairing color "belgian police" etc. I wonder if it is the same one and this guy bought it and is now trying for a quick flip. For some reason prices on this era of BMW have gone nuts lately. Or people are hoping they will and speculators are having a field day.
fred flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote