View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #49
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Oddometer: 96
Ayers Rock / Uluru / Olgas

After a solid day of riding we made it into Yulara, the small township near Ayers Rock just before sunset. We were worn out but glad to witness the amazing sight of the sun going down on such an amazing Australian icon. I have seen this place in movies, school books, magazines, television etc for all my life but to actually be there in person finally was special to me.

The Rock from our accommodation on sunset.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

The Olgas at sunset in the distance.

Before sunrise.

During sunrise.

Apparently due to the very clear sky conditions, the sunrise and sunset were not nearly as spectacular as it is when cloud is present. I was blown away none the less. I can appreciate how it is such a sacred spot.

The rock really is too big to get a close up and fit it all in!

Hydro, devo'ed after finding out we couldn't climb the Rock that morning due to the very windy conditions. Over 40 people have died from heart attacks attempting the climb and several more from falls and injuries. The local aboriginals do ask not to climb it as it is sacred to them. We sat wondering what to do for a few moments as we did not expect to travel so far and be denied by the park authorities. Heavy penalties apply if you climb without permission. Also the climbing was not allowed after 9am at that time of the year due to the heat and risks associated.

We took off to the Olgas about 40km distant, which many think are actually better to see and explore.

Amazing formations.
Hoonatic Ty is offline   Reply With Quote