View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #15
jules083 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
Of the two HF mini trailers, I'd get the 90153, not the 42708. Look at the tire differences and the speed ratings. You'll spend your savings trying to upgrade the lesser.

Both are absurdly heavy duty for behind a motorcycle, but they are cheap. Put a box on either and you'll rapidly find yourself closing in on 200 lbs, not 150 lbs. Boxes weigh a lot more than you're given them credit for.

The spring is already a single leaf. Adjust air pressure in the tire for ride quality. Most folk run it way too high, making them bounce madly.

Don't discount a used trailer found on ebay or craigslist. They are there.
The smaller trailer is 20lbs lighter, that's one reason I was looking at it. I'd end up paying more in the end with bigger tires though. I'm going to ride up there and look, I may very well buy the heavier one. I have some ideas to get it lighter, but I need to see it in person first. Like you said it's 'absurdly heavy duty', so that tells me I might be able to lighten it.

I have a box in mind to mount on it, it's under 10lbs. Haven't picked it up empty in a few years but it should be about the right size and plenty strong. It't heavy gauge plastic, I wouldn't want anything else I don't think.

I'm leaving now to ride up HF and look around. Don't know if I'm buying now or not, but figured I'd ride up and see what I might be dealing with. If I do get it and it doesn't work out I still have a cheap trailer that I can use around the house. If nothing else it'll double the firewood capacity of my Gator. 10 cords a year is a lot of trips to the woods. I'll have my phone on me to check here for any more replies.
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote