View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #48
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,526
Blown off road - totaled GSA

Wow, SiouxsieCat, I'm so sorry about your machine but glad you walked away! Troidus said a "mouthful" about Great Plains riding and I got a real lesson out there a couple of times. On May 7, 2007, I left Denver, CO on my '07 K12 GT heading fo Hays, KS. The wind was really blowing out of the SSW and, after crossing Pena Blvd, it really picked up. I found out from a trucker at a rest area, it was gusting to 65 mph. Frankly, I was terrified. By the time I got to Hays around 5:30 PM, it had died down. About 4 hours later, Greensburg, KS, some 90 miles south, was devastated by an F5 tornado.

Two years ago, I left Van Horn, TX heading west with a 30-35 mph (my estimate) wind out of the SW. The temp was 70. Crossing the mountains just west of town, I saw this:

There was no rain, just wind. When I entered that cloud of dust, the temperature plummeted to 40 in less than five miles and I had to slow to 35 mph as the winds gusted to 70 mph (El Paso weather report that evening). My '09 GSA didn't like that and neither did I!

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is online now   Reply With Quote