View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #136
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 838
Mid September Heat

Labour day weekend, I was off the Island riding the BCBATR, a 3 day dual sport event starting in Harrison Hot Springs, BC, and ending there, after doing a giant loop through to the desert and back, almost all the way to Kamloops! It was a seriously fun ride, with probably 80 bikes present. I will have to post those pics on another thread...This is my air filter after 3 days.

September 15th, and it is still baking hot on the island. It has literally not rained for almost three months now, which is extremely unusual. In some places, the dirt had turned to talcum powder like I have never seen here! I headed up Island to Cumberland for a weekend of camping/fishing. The plan was to try and make it by back roads to the set of lakes I visited back in August. By 11:00 it hit about 26C. I had breakfast, and headed for Comox Lake. All new territory for me!

This was from the bridge on Willemar Lake. 5 pound trout were swimming right by my line! Went for a swim too, the water was ice cold! Must be fed by Glaciers up in Strathcona Park.

So I fished this spot for about an hour, when I heard something rolling down the hill and stop....Then I heard a bunch of ratcheting and tinkering, and I thought it must have been mountain bikers. This went on for a while, so I went to see what the matter was. It turned out to be these two guys in a Chevy Suburban who had their battery die on them, and it being an automatic, could not bump start. They were in the process of winching their beast off of the main trail. They asked if I had a volt meter, which of course I didn't. So I continued fishing, expecting to be heading back to Cumberland to get them help at some point. I would never leave someone out this far, without doing something if it was needed! We were 35 kms out, after all.
I guess they figured out it was something that came loose, not allowing the battery to charge. So they asked me optomistically if I thought my DRZ could jump start an "87 Suburban! This was taking a risk of being stuck out there with them, because of my rev-loc clutch not allowing me to bump start either! Nonetheless, we hooked up the cables, and let it charge their battery with my bike running for 10 minutes or so. One of them turned the keys, lights came on, turned it over, the lights flickered, and it fired right up!

Immediately, a $10 bill, and two beers were shoved into my hands for rescuing them! They were chill guys, Aaron and Guillaume were their names, along with their Boxer, "Yukon". It turns out we were headed the same direction, so I scouted ahead of them on an overgrown section of trails on the edge of Strathcona Park. It was good to stick together, it was getting dark early, they knew where we were going, and had a spot picked out for camping. There was lots of lots of food and drink to go around, and I had spark for their beast if it failed again. We became friends no problem!

Tropic-Of-Canada screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 06:08 AM
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote