View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 04:17 AM   #1
gavo OP
Slacker

Oddometer: 1,742
Australia, across and back and points of interest

The reason this ride report is so late is----I'm slack and was otherwise occupied.
The idea was to ride from Gympie in Queensland west on as much dirt as possible to Perth WA via a few beauty spots including the Simpson desert to Gympie. Sound simple doesn't it.
Doug our Navigator/Slavemaster a regular dirt rider. DR 650
Pete a regular road rider but not much dirt. Dr 650
Graham a regular road and race rider but dirt virgin. Husky 610
Gavin (me) regular road rider and extensive dirt rider but no dirt for 20+ years. Dr 650
We left on a Friday afternoon 06/05/2010 just to get a few kms under the belt and plan to stay at the golden spurs hotel in Proston
The route and where it splits eg Perth to Esperance, me the inland route the other three the coast. Because I used to live in WA and I wanted to go that way.
And from Ceduna, Doug still wanted to go inland despite extensive flooding and rain, Pete and I couldn't risk getting stuck and Graham had flown home after mechanical failure.

Next morning Doug bike won't start, dead battery. After trying to jump start, tow start, no joy I ride to Kingaroy to buy a new battery round trip approx 120kms Shit.
After a late start and no further drama's we head west for Injune
straight forward dirt roads and a pub and beds

We leave Injune nice and early heading for Isiford via Womblebank gap

the husky sidestand retired

Don't ask where this was Pete took the pic, maybe near Blackall

A lot of roos between Blackall and Isisford
and the pub, Great place, unfortunately a big hangover the next day

Heading out towards Boulia

About 100kms short of Boulia it was getting dark so we decided to camp at a place called Slashers creek/Pioneer creek.
The mosquitoes were horrific they were even biting through my gloves apart from that a pretty spot

gavo screwed with this post 04-21-2014 at 04:23 AM
gavo is offline   Reply With Quote