View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 06:12 AM   #151
AK Smitty OP
Self life coach

Oddometer: 317
Ipailes

We got into Ipailes about 5 and went to the hotel that Pete and Wim stayed at 2 days earlier. As soon as we parked the bikes the skies opened up an it started to pour!! Perfect timing.

The town of Ipailes did not have much appeal to me but Las Lajas was really cool. We pulled into the church about 9 and actually had some sunny skies for pictures!

The church from the overlook on our way in.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Two ladies that ran this fruit and veggie stand told us we could park here for a buck each.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Its a short walk down to the church. We blamed the altitude for our struggle back up the hill, not the lack of exercise from sitting on a motorcycle for 3 plus months.

Guinea Pig is eaten here. We did not try it but here it is at a restaurant on the way to the church.

I could have taken hundreds pictures of the church but tried to keep it under control. I am always fascinated in the architecture and engineering marvel these places are, especially for when they were built. Las Lajas is very impressive!!

Thanks to the Virgin Mary

Inside the church

Me at the church

There are many more pictures on smugmug. Like I said I was very impressed with the detail and size of Las Lajas. Well worth the stop if you are in the area. We tried to go to the museum about it to learn more of the history and struggle building it but it was closed. Off to the Colombia Ecuador border.

One last one pic

I am here: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...f53b74b2cb510d
AK Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote